Thursday, July 17, 2014

Shoe on the other Foot (10)

"Wait, what?" I stay calm but I just don't get it.

"We just can't go here, we can go anywhere else babe." She says without bringing her head up. 

"You know what I've been through getting this place?" I plead but the truth is just four hours earlier we were set to eat the spaghetti that was cooking earlier but she doesn't know that. 

"I know babe but it's just that...uh...now that we are close the smell of the seafood is kind of making my stomach hurt. I actually feel a little sick." She takes the blindfold and lifts it over her mouth as if she has to throw up.   

"Oh ok, if you're not feeling well we should go home then. We will just eat that spaghetti you made earlier." 

"Thanks babe, I'm sorry I messed up our date night. It was so sweet too." 

"It's ok, we'll make it happen another time." I say starting the car back up to drive home. 

Ari goes to sleep while I drive back home. I really did want this night to happen. Between what I did this past weekend and her feeling distant from me, we needed this. 

When I wake up the next day for work, I don't want to go. Talking to mama Shelia last night got me thinking. Maybe I do spend a lot of time at work. My wife is four months pregnant and I'm always busy. After this case is over I'm taking off for a bit. 

Ari was still sleep when I was about to leave. So instead of waking her up to talk to her a left her a little note:

"Baby I'm sorry for the way that I have been treating you lately. I haven't been around that much to cater to you and pamper you and you deserve that. I have been taking on a lot from work but just know that all that is going to change really soon. Just be patient with me. Things are going to go back to normal really soon. I made you a breakfast smoothie it's in the fridge. Enjoy baby, I'll call you on my lunch break to check on you." 

I put the note on the bed and I got my chest out a little bit because I'm thinking that's some sweet stuff there. So I kiss my baby like I always do and head out. 

"Aria do you know what time it is? Get your butt up!" Shelia came in the bedroom hollering. 

"Ma please get out. I'm in a bad mood, I don't feel well and I'm pregnant." She said with her head still on the pillow.

"None are reasons to stay in bed so come on let's go downstairs and eat."

"Nooooo ma just let me be." She says whining.

"I'll be downstairs. If you're not there in five minutes I will be right back up here so come spend some time with your mother, thank you." She replies calmly.

After about ten minutes Aria walks downstairs.

"I gave you an extra five minutes to wash your face and brush your teeth." Shelia says in between sipping her green tea.

"Oh thank you mother." Aria is sarcastic. "Why couldn't you just let me stay in bed?" She sits on the stool at the kitchen island and puts her head down on her arms.

"What's wrong, didn't you and Lance have a good time last night going out?

"Oh GOD no. We had to leave." Aria looks up uneasily.

"Well that sucks, he put so much work into it." Shelia gives me all the credit when in fact it was her idea.

"I know ma, please don't make feel worse about it."

"Why are you feeling so bad now? Why'd you all leave in the first place?"

"Well I lie to him last night. When we got to the restaurant I told him we had to leave because I wasn't feeling good."

"So why did you lie?"

"Because I fuc...I messed up ma!"

"Whoa. Get it together and explain yourself." Her mother became stern. 

"I have been telling Lance about this restaurant for a long time and he's just been too busy to go. A few weeks ago when I was with Bobbi I ran into an old friend from college. Lance knows him. I never told Lance that I ran into him. We talked for a bit and he gave me his card and said we should do lunch or dinner sometime."

"Why didn't you just say something to Lance?"

"I honestly forgot all about it until Lance left me for the entire weekend. I was cleaning out my purse and found the card. So early Saturday I called him, knowing Lance wouldn't be back that day, I told him we could do lunch. I know that's wrong but then I just kept making mistakes after that."

"Go on." Shelia is just sipping her tea not saying anything until she hears the entire story.

"I tell him we can do lunch, which I thought would be harmless, but he was too busy during the day so he offered dinner. Like a dummy I accepted. Not only did I accept but I let him take me to a restaurant that was supposed to be for me and Lance to go together because we both wanted to go."

"Well that is a bad thing but it's not horrible."

"I'm not done yet ma. He's a really charming and sweet guy and it is easy to get lost in that when you let your guard down. We talked and I told him that Lance and I were married and were expecting and he gave his congratulations. When the waitress asked what I would like to eat I asked her if they had any seafood plates for pregnant women  and she got excited telling us congrats on the baby. He played along and so did I. By the end of the night after all the laughter I kind of forgot about Lance. I was walked to my car and he kissed me. I didn't say a word. Just got in my car and left."

Shelia finishes her tea and sets it on the glass kitchen table. "Aria that is a bad situation but I do not think you went too far."

"I have to tell him, I feel horrible."

"No you can't tell him. Not the entire story any way. Especially the part about playing along as if this other man was the father of you and Lance's child. That will cut him deep and it's not telling what he would do after that." She said seriously with he legs crossed and her hands overlapped on her knee.

"I can't ma, I have to tell him. Just not yet."


3 comments:

  1. What was the inspiration behind your story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story idea just came to me one day and some of the stuff in it are just personal events fabricated a bit

      Delete
    2. Oh ok, well I'm enjoying it, good work. I look forward to the next part every time.

      Delete