Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Think With Your Head (6)

As I sit back up on my couch, snapping back into reality, I realize something. Ari isn't right, I am. Not once have I heard her complain about the new house in the suburbs or the car I said she could have of her choosing. Now, all of a sudden she knows how to make judgement calls on my job. Even feeling this way, I know now is not the time to have that discussion.

After sitting down for a nice period of time, I figure that Ari is already asleep and I can make my way into bed quietly. I walk up the stairs and enter the bedroom to only see she is on the phone. Automatically, I know who she is talking to but I try to play the fool. 

"Baby I'm so sorry for how I acted dow..." I begin. 

"Save it Lance, my mother will be here Sunday. I already went ahead and got her a ticket." She replies hanging the phone up and lying down without looking my way. 

"Oh great." I say sarcastically. 

Ari and her mom are as close as a mother and daugther could be. It was just them two when she was coming up so now that her mom is alone back in Baltimore, she brings her over here to Chicago whenever I "mess up" so she can fix it or try to at least. I just always think "How the hell can she fix anything, she ain't never had no man!" Of course I could never say that so I just go alone with it. 

"Why you go and tell yo mama to come here, we didn't even get a hotel yet." I say gettin in bed myself trying not to sound angry. 

"Uh uh, we are not in that little ass apartment anymore. She's staying right here." She replies, still not looking my way. 

"No." I say forgetting the hole I just dug myself into downstairs. 

She finally looks my way. There's a certain way a woman can look at you to let you know exactly what's going to happen without saying anything. "I mean because the guest room still needs some stuff." 

"Don't worry Bobbi is coming over with everything we need for it tomorrow. I spoke to her too."

"Damn. Bobbi coming back?!"

"Problem?"

"Actually no, me and Zach are supposed go out tomorrow night so can I?"

"That means Bobbi can stay here with me then."

"Deal, I'll just stay over with Zach and Rachel. You know he's going to get drunk anyway so I'm playing lifeguard."

"Ok, goodnight. As long as you aren't drinking?" 

"Of course not baby, I don't drink anymore." As I try to lean over to kiss her. 

"Ugh no, get off of me. I don't like you right now."

I kiss her anyway. Her lips. 

"Ok Lance goodnight!"

I continue to kiss her, lips, then her neck, then her stomach then I kiss her inner thigh. 

"Lance stop." She's basically moaning but grabbing my head.

I pop up. "Ok." as I roll over to go to sleep. 

"Ohhhh you get on my nerves." She yells.

"Shouldn't have told you annoying ass mama to come over here." Grumbling under my breathe. She doesn't respond. That was petty but I won. 

The next day, I sleep in pretty late. It was a crazy week. Unfortunately, by the time I wake up Bobbi is already there. I hear her downstairs as soon as I wake up. So I hurry in the shower, throw some sweats on, grab clothes for later and pack them up.

"Babe." I yell out as I come downstairs.

"What I'm on the toilet." 

"I'm gone. Love you." 

"Ok, love you too." She says obviously struggling in the bathroom. 

"Hi Lance." Bobbi says trying to be smart. 

"Bobbi." I say running out the door attempting to avoid whatever gossip she has for the day. 

After going to play golf with Zach and his folks, we go back to get cleaned up to head out for the night. 

"Dude, you really suck at golf." Zach tells me this almost after every time we play. 

"Well I didn't have money growing up. We played basketball coming up dog." I laugh out. 

"Anyway, about tonight." He begins to whisper, for his wife is in the other room. "Look, you know the chick Annabelle from the floor below right, yeah you know her. Well she's coming."

"Here I am thinking that we are finally just going to be two friends, who happen to be both be married to beautiful women, that go out and have a good time." I'm also whispering at this point.

"Aria's way hotter than Rachel and you know it!" He exclaims in a whisper yell. 

I just laugh it off, it's true but hey. "Alright man yeah that's cool. Let's just get ready."  

After getting ready, I go to grab the car keys.

"Whoa, what the hell are you doing?" Zach seems surprised. 

"Getting the keys." I say slurring my words looking back to him confused.

"Dude, we are getting hammered tonight. You can't drive."

"Zach you know I'm not drinking." 

"Come on man! How often do we get to do this anymore? We're almost thirty already and with my lifestyle, I'm halfway to my death age anyway, so just live it up with me man!"

"Only a few drinks man." I dial a taxi. Realizing we work in the same building, I take my ring off and leave it in my bag before leaving out. 

We get in the taxi to meet Annabelle at a bar called "Dj's". We pull up and get out the car around 8pm. Zach stops me. 

"Ok dude I have a confession."

"What." Dropping my head down letting out a sigh. 

"It's fun night for the firm, almost everyone here from work will be here." 

"You know what, it's cool. Let's have a good time."

"That's my guy."

After entering the bar I see that Zach was right. Almost everyone from work was here. I don't see Viv though, so I'm relieved. 

I was only supposed to drink a little but I probably had way too many drinks. At least seven shots, of whiskey of course, on top of three drinks. 

"Dude, I gotta ditch, here's the key to the house." Zach says leaning over my shoulder at the bar.

I barely react to him. By the time I raise up he's gone. Another hand touches me on my shoulder. 

"Hey Mr. Ely." A familiar voice. 

"Oh hey " I say turning. "Viv!" I'm surprised. "I thought you didn't come tonight." I know I reek of liquor.

"Well I didn't but Rich lost his wallet and needed money for a cab and I live up the street so I gave him a little cash." 

"That's was a ge..ge...generous." Letting out a burp. "Excuse me, I'm sorry. It's about time I call a cab myself, Zach ditched me."

"Yeah he ran out with Annabelle earlier. But don't call a cab, I can take you home." 

"Oh I'm not going home tonight." I blurt out. 

"Well wherever you need to go, I can get you there." She says sincerely.

I pause. "I didn't really plan on where I was staying, just not home."






No comments:

Post a Comment