Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Games Continue (21)

As I sit with my jaw in my lap I can't help but think better Viv than Ari. This is an prime example why I do not let word get out that I am married. That could have been Ari in that hospital and who knows what could have happened to our son? All that aside I still feel horrible about what happened to Viv. I almost feel completely responsible for what happened to her.

Even with that horrible news in the air the bigger story is still that of the father. He was living a double life. I just wanted to get the money for winning this case and now I'm at the point where I don't want any parts of it at all. I didn't know any facts at the beginning and now I know way more than I need to. The job would have easily been done without these random outbursts of facts shoveled my way. The worst part of it all is that it's shit I can't say to anyone but people need to know. Just the other day the boys mother called begging me to tell her if Quick shot her son, which he did. How messed up would it be for her to find out that her husband may have caused the entire thing because of some weed?

I don't even want to think about it anymore. But now I'm stumped with a new question, do I visit Viv in the hospital? Of course I do, I mean we are still friends and I am kind of the reason why that incident happened last night. I grab some things from the office and head out of my door and who else do I run in to but Zach.

"Whoa buddy what's the rush?" He says as I bump into him causing him to drop some papers.

"Had an emergency man, I just need to run." I say helping him grab the papers left on the ground,

"Oh man, is Aria alright dude?" He lowered his voice and sound very worried asking me the question. As much as a dickhead Zach is he does a really good job helping me keep my secrets.

"Ohhhh okay." He gave me sort of a smirk and didn't say anything else, he probably knows exactly where I'm going.

Already caught leaving the office, I figured that I would slow myself down so that I don't run into anyone else. As I exit the elevator on the main level of the building my phone begins to ring, it's Ari.

"Hey babe." I say answering the phone.

"Hey, I was just wondering if you would like for me to meet you for lunch?" As sweet as she asked I know that she wants me to say yes.

"Damn baby, I wish you would have told me earlier. I am up to my head in things to do here today, I wasn't even going to take lunch." I sound pretty convincing.

"Oh alright, it's cool. I was just asking to make sure anyway." She wants to come so bad and I do need to spend more time with her or she'll be calling that other nigga again.

"You know what, I'll take an hour lunch whenever you get here baby. You're more important than anything I got going on over here anyway." I say walking away from the crowd.

"No babe. I don't want to take away from your work." She says clearly lying.

"I'm not taking no for an answer. Matter of fact, I'm going down to the lobby now to wait for you so get your fine ass down here quick so I can get back to work." Good thing I was leaving work early anyway because now I look like the hero husband.

"Okay, I'll be there in thirty minutes!" Haven't heard her that excited in a long time now and we were only having lunch.

I go sit down in the waiting area to wait for Ari. I do feel bad for lying, again, but it had to be done. I couldn't just tell her I was going to the hospital because one hundred and one questions would have been asked and I would have been set back an entire month of hard work and good behavior. It's just a small lie anyway, just a hospital visit to a friend.

My phone vibrates as soon as I begin to doze off in the chair. I look and it's a text from Ari telling me that she is outside. I go out to meet her and she is there standing outside the building looking fine as can be. I go up to her and kiss her without even speaking.

"You are a new man Ely." She says in shock.

"I have to make sure I don't lose you to anyone else." I say looking down deep into her eyes.

"So where do you want to eat?" She asks me smiling ear to ear.

"You ate already didn't you?" I say with a smirk.

She puts her head down trying not to look at me because she is a horrible liar.

"Aria!" I laugh.

"Yes, oh my God, I was so hungry though baby. It was the baby." Now she was laughing too.

"It's cool babe let's grab a hotdog and then some ice cream and just go for a little walk." I say smacking her butt as we walk away from the building.

"That thing getting a little thicker ain't it?" She did a little dance to go along with it.

"Uh huh." I say stopping in my tracks as she continues to walk so I can admire.

This is what we got away from. We just always had fun no matter what we were doing and it feels good to get that back. I just want it to stay so that we always feel fresh. I catch back up with her and grab her hand.

"I hope I'm not keeping you from your work too much babe." She set her head on my arm and pulled me closer to keep herself warm.

"No, I can just stay a little longer and get things done. It's fine, this is better." I tell her.

We walk for a few blocks before stopping to get a foot long dog and big ice cream to share. Just her being here made me feel a lot better about the entire day. Like none of the stuff was actually happening. We walk around the city a little and goof around a lot before heading back to my building.

"Well I hope I didn't get you home too late Ely." She says trying to sound like we were still kids.

"I think my mom may be sleep so I can just sneak up." I play along.

"How about you sneak back out later and come to my place." She says walking away.

"I'll be there." I say trying to whisper but loud enough for her to hear me as I walk back into my building.






No comments:

Post a Comment