Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Boom Goes the Dynamite (22)

I walk as if I'm going to the elevator only to turn around when I know Ari is gone to leave right back out to the door. It's horrible that I had to lie but she would have had a fit if she knew where I was going. So many questions would have came up: "Who is she?" "Why are you visiting her?" Where do you know her from"?. We all know how women can be and it would have just went on and on from there. It's just better to avoid that all together and just go check to see if Viv is alright.

I get in my car and begin to drive. I find myself afraid of what I may see at the hospital upon arrival. How bad is it? Did they tell her it was because of me? This entire thing is just getting worse and worse as layers are pulled up. 

I arrive at the hospital pretty fast and get all signed in so that I can go up and see her. I get on the elevator and there's nobody else on it so the silence is killing me. Some small talk beforehand would have eased my mind a bit. The elevator finally stops. I step off and immediately I am greeted by a nurse who directs me to the correct room.

I arrive at the door and see a body lying there still. Back towards me, seemingly looking outside of the window. I speak.

"Viv?" I say unsure of if it's even her or not.

The body still lie still as I walk closer.

"Viv, it's me, Lance." Still nothing. I walk closer to the motionless body expecting a random person just sleeping. Instead it is Viv and she is very much awake. She is just staring outside of the window crying silently. I sit down in the chair at the foot of the bed and just start talking.

"I'm so sorry for what's happened to you. It's so cowardly that someone would even do this to you. Just know that I'm here for you and that we miss you back at the office." I lean in and try to get her to look at me but I'm unsuccessful. 

"Bullshit Lance." She says breaking her silence.

"What? What's bullshit?" I say at a loss. 

"You're the only one to show any type of care. This is an unforgiving field obviously.  But I didn't expect anyone else to come so it's fine, it really is. You, I expected you to come. We shared a connection." She was bawling at this point. 

"Well yeah, we had a nice friendship around the office and beyond." I try to make her feel a little better. 

"Lance our connection was way more than that." She chuckled during her crying which I found strange but disregarded. 

"Uhhhh I don't really know what you're talking about but I hope you get well real soon so that you make it back to work." I get up out the seat I was in attempting to leave. 

"Oh Lance it was much more than that." She said finally looking away from the window and directly at me. 

"What are you talking about Viv?" I am very interested in what she has to say now. 

"Do you honestly think you just crawled in my bed and didn't touch me. I know you're a man but damn you can't be that naive." She rolled her eyes and laughed a bit more.

"You're lying and I don't understand why." I'm upset and thrown off balance a bit. 

"You think I'm lying? Ok, go head out there and ask the nurse about this miscarriage that I just had." Suddenly the laughter stops.

"Miscarriage of what?" I barely make that sentence out.

"Goddamn Lance do I have to spell it out? You were drunk and crawled into my bed and we fucked. I mean fucked and you gave me alllllll of you. With me being lonely here, I received it when I shouldn't have. Then I learned I was pregnant and was hurt but overwhelmed at the same time because I don't have anyone in the city. The glimmer of hope I just had is gone now too so I'm leaving like we talked about before. I cannot take it here anymore I have to leave. 

My heart is in my stomach. I cannot not make out one word to respond to what I just heard. She could be lying but at the same time I am terrified to ask the nurse. I sit back down to let everything sink in. I may sit there for an hour without moving a muscle, I'm numb. 





No comments:

Post a Comment