Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dirty Hands (27)

"Wait outside." Mr. Harris firmly tells his wife.

"No, if he has som..." Mrs. Harris shows her frustration with her husband. 

"Look I want to hear what the man has to say and if he only wants to speak to me then so be it. So please, wait outside." He says with he eyes on me the entire time. 

But hone..." She pleads.

"Thank you." Still focused me, I see his wife upset but she leaves and shuts the door behind her. 

"What's this about?" Mr. Harries finally speaks to me. 

"You need to keep your wife off the stand." I tell him firmly. If I played poker the face I'm staring at him with would be a killer at the table. 

"Tell me, why the hell would I do that?" He scoots up in his chair to better hear me I guess or intimidate me. Now Mr. Harris is a big man, 6'6 and at least 260 pounds of muscle so I would be lying to say I wasn't scared. 

"You killed him." I say sharply, hoping fear can't be heard in voice. 

"I killed who?" He stood up over my desk.

"Your son, that's blood on your hands." I stand up as well, usually being 6'4 helps me tower over others, not this time. 

Mr. Harris just stands there for a moment then begins to pace. 

"I needed the money. We needed the money. I thought I would be able to get away fast enough but my wife didn't want to budge without an explanation. Women right? You married...no wedding band, I guess not. A boy? He kills a boy? Why not just kill me?" He begins to sob and I get a pain because I know everything but I have to do my job. 

"He's here. Tell your wife to go wait in the lobby and you can ask him yourself." I can see the fear on his face as he turns to walks out. 

"She's gone." He seems like he's not even here with me in the same room as he gazes off. 

"I'll be right back." I get up to leave the office. I can just imagine wages going through his mind as he stands there alone in my office with just his thoughts. 

I had Quick waiting in Zach's office since he didn't come in to work today. 

"He's ready to talk." I say.

"Well then, let's go."

We both leave out, my heart is pounding so fast right about now. I have no clue how this is going to play out.

"Tracy Harris. The boldest mother fucker in Chicago." I'm not even able to close the door before he begins speaking. 

"I'm going to kill you." He replies back coldly. 

"Whoa, you threaten me in front of my lawyer? I'm not the bad guy here. You stole from me man. We had a deal and you stole from me. Now why would you do that." 

"We needed the money." I'm thinking I should've checked them both for weapons before coming in here because it really looks as if he will kill him right here and now. 

"You know I do loans." Quick says extending his arms.

"I also know what happens to people who take out loans from you and can't pay back in full at one time." 

"Now you also know what happens when a dumb mother fucker decides to steal from me." 

"I swear to God Quick as soon as we leave here I'm going to fucking shoot you." I believe him too, veins were popping out of his head as swear from holding his rage in came down his cheek. 

"See I know you would, we all know who you are, well were. I have my guys waiting to hear from me, you know the guys. See if they don't, they kind of kill your wife too. Is that what you want?" He says while stepping to Mr. Harris. 

"Son of a bitch! I hope you rot in jail." 

"Another mistake. If you wife testifies, we kill her. If we don't get our money back, we kill her." 

"Kill me. Kill me right now!" He pleads for his wife. 

"You know what? What's sixty thousand? Just have your bitch wife shut her fucking mouth and make sure we never see your bitch ass again and she will live." He says as his tone changes. 

"Why man?" He says confused. 

"I'm guessing that's a broad ass why. I killed your son because I had to take something from you that meant as much as my sixty thousand meant to me. We could've just kept building this thing man, you come in and let a bitch run your shit. Now look! Your life's all fucked up." Quick shakes his head and I'm shocked to learn another new detail to this entire thing. 

"She won't say anything." Mr. Harris just turns and leaves. 

"You know what Mr. Ely, I think we make a good team." He also turns and leaves shortly after. 

I'm just happy I didn't just have to witness a murder in my office. 




No comments:

Post a Comment