Monday, March 9, 2015

Timing is Everything (28)

"All rise!" The bailiff says as we all stand to our feet. After the meeting that was held a few days ago I know this will all be over today!

As Judge Pratt approaches we all stand and I'm grinning from ear to ear when the judge cuts his eyes at me and I then realize who I'm defending and why. This quickly wipes that same grin off my face. This is one bittersweet job for me. I'm great at what I do but I represent scumbags majority of the time.

"Be seated." The bailiff tells us.

"Mr. Hale, is your witness ready?" Judge Pratt asks as he looks Quick's way with the slightest of grins. I look to Quick who is staring at Judge Pratt grinning back at him.

"Um, your honor my client is no longer going to speak. I have spoken with the family and we have discovered Mrs. Harris' testimony would have said anything to get Mr. Ellis convicted of this crime." Hale rises and says with a look of defeat on his face.

Everyone in the courtroom is shocked, they don't even make a sound but you can see by everyone's demeanor that they did not see this coming at all.

"Wow, well, this...this is very surprising. There is no murder weapon, no credible witness, lack of evidence. I'm left with no choices here, this case is dismissed.

You could hear a pin drop.

"You a bad motherfucker Ely." Quick said to me as he turned around to celebrate with his crew.

"I hope you're happy you son of a bitch! What if it was your child? You fucking disgust me." Mrs. Harris was enraged with me. I cannot be mad at her feelings, I can only imagine what she may be experiencing right now.

"Come on baby, let's go." Mr. Harris quickly grabs his wife before she can go on.

"Baby? This was your fucking idea. You won't even tell me why!" She began sobbing right then in there.

"It's for our own protection baby. We're just going to get out of here." He tries his best to calm her down as he walks her out the courtroom.

My phone rings as the courtroom begins to clear and I quickly walk out so that I can answer it.

"Yo, what's up Zach." I was surprised to hear from Zach and happy, I haven't heard from him in a long time.

"Hey man, congrats!" We already heard the news. You won another one."

"Wow how'd you guys hear so quick, I'm literally still here."

"Dude, it's already on the news, people aren't too happy though. Why don't you come back to the office man. We can go celebrate." He says

"I don't know man. I think I should go see how Aria is doing." I tell him.

"Yeah man, of course. Uh, maybe next time." I can sense the disappointment in his tone.

"You know what man, I'll just swing by and we can go get a beer."

"Hell yeah dude, that'll be awesome." Zach of course now is cheerful.

"Cool, I'll just give Ari and call and head over." I say finding a door where I can avoid the press outside.

"Sweet." Zach says as the phone call ends.

"Hey babe, how you doing over there?" I ask Aria.

"I'm great, feels like I'm about to pop though but Bobbi is taking good care of me...oh! How'd the case go?" She asks even though I know she knows already.

"I won. Doesn't feel like much of a win given the circumstances." The entire thing is still hard to
stomach.

"It's your job babe. Sometimes you're going to have to represent assholes. Comes with the territory."

"Yeah I guess you're right. Hey would you mind if I go grab a beer with Zach, you know, little celebration?" I ask anticipating a strong no.

"Go ahead I'm good here, I'll call you if I need anything. Love you." She's very upbeat today, I love it.

"Great, I love you too baby." I hang up.

On my way back to the office I thought about what Ari said, assholes come with the territory. I have to accept that. Well at least try. I am however beginning to get the feeling that I cannot keep representing these guys. It's just really taking a toll on me, like I'm straight up contradicting my morals. I try to put all that to rest as I walk into our office.

"SURPRISE!!!" My entire floor is there to greet me.

"Whoa, what's this?" I ask with a smile on my face.

"You my friend just won a big fucking case, because of that shit is about to blow up for everyone around here. Especially you." Zach comes and put his arm around my neck as we walk to grab some cake.

"How the hell did you get all this stuff here so fast?" I ask.

"These interns move pretty damn fast for fifty bucks my friend. Speaking of which, I would like to see what the new girl is willing to do." Zach laughs and tells me.

"Keep it up man and I will be representing you soon and charging you double." We laugh as we drifts off.

"I knew you could do it." A familiar voice is heard and I turn around to see who it is.

"Oh my God. What are you doing here Viv? I thought...you were gone." My stomach suddenly feels terrible.

"Yeah I'm back but not like before. I've been to counseling and all. I just want to tell you congratulations." She appears to be sincere as she opens her arms for a hug in which I accept and she also kisses me on the cheek. "I am so sorry for everything." She backs up holding my hands as she apologizes.

"All is forgiven." I was never one to hold a grudge. She walks away and I see Jennifer approaching me, the new intern. I just know that Zach crossed the line.

"Hey Mr. Ely, there was a woman by the name of Bobbi at the front desk looking for you but she took off. She didn't say what she wanted or anything." Jennifer says before she spots Zach and walks off.

What the hell is she doing here? Why is she not with Ari? I sneak by people, shake hands and thank people for there kindness until I'm able to get through the door. I get downstairs and to my car and race home.

When I pull up to the house, the car is gone. Bobbi's car is still here so she could be home.

"Ari please don't tell me Bobbi is out here driving our car." I yell as I come in but get no answer.

I walk upstairs and nobody is there. I walk through the entire house, nothing. Somebody did spill something in on the floor. Why the hell didn't this get cleaned up?

I go back upstairs to the bedroom and begin to call Aria, straight to voice mail. When I sit down on the bed I notice something is missing. Aria's hospital bags are gone and now everything makes sense.

"FUCK!"

I grab my keys and head out the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment