Thursday, June 26, 2014

Past in the Past (3)

As I drive home, I just can't forgive myself for just acting as if Aria didn't exist. Just forget about it, I have to continually tell myself as I listen to some J.Cole.

"This is Martin Luther King in the club, gettin dubs, with a bad chick in ear sayin that she down for whatever, in the back of his mind is Coretta" I sing the words to "She Knows" aloud. I had to turn that off. Temptation is already brewing up inside of me. But that's normal, I just have to not act on it. God she's bad though! 


When I get home it's pretty late, I really took my time on the way. The sun is down already  and the temperature has dropped. I throw on my black overcoat, striped grey flat cap and leather gloves before I head in the house. 

I walk through the door and I see Ari sitting in the living room.

"Hey Babe, whatchu doing over there"

"Just over here going through some old pictures, reminiscing about our college days when we first met" she said as she tilted her head and smiled at me as she looked up. 

I didn't say anything, only smiled back admiring her beauty.

"You haven't changed one bit since college" she says as she goes back to flip through some pictures.

Actually she's wrong. I've changed so much, that's how I was able to walk away from Viv earlier today. When Ari and I first started dating I don't know how many other women I was seeing. The school was so big, it was too easy. The other niggas on campus wereso rude that they made it so easy for me; by just being a gentleman you could get a woman hooked. Opening doors, speaking politely, holding books, helping women to places in the rain under your umbrella, I can go on and on. Yeah it's who I am but I knew what I was doing as well. Ari knows about some things but not all, some things you have to take to the grave. 

"Anything exciting happen at work today?" she asks as she usually does. 

"Nope, you know how it is" is what I normally reply. My left hand always stays in my pocket until I go upstairs to put my ring back on, I wonder if she ever notices. I take my ring off every morning when I kneel down beside the bed to get some shoes I pull out the night before and put them in a shoe box. 

We share a kiss before I head upstairs to change. I walk over a few boxes leftover from the move in to get up the stairs. I stop to look at my sons room, the first room to the right as soon as you make it all the way up. I'm still amazed that I'm having a son soon because after how I was in college I should've had a girl. 

After I change, I sit back on the bed to watch tv but the Ari comes in saying she's sleepy so I kiss her again and go back downstairs to stay up a bit longer. I stop in the kitchen to get a small cup of ice, on the way home I stopped at the store for a small bottle of Honey Whiskey. When things get hectic, I like to sit back have some drinks and watch "First 48". Twenty seven minutes into the show and halfway through my small bottle of whiskey, I get a text. 

"Hey Mr. Ely" I read from an unknown number. Only a couple people call me by last name and that's Ari and my momma, so I have no clue who this can be. Maybe a potential client.

"Hello but I'm sorry I don't know who this is" I have to pay special attention, the words all look a little blurry at this point. 

"Oh sorry lol it's Viv, from work, Zach gave me your number I hope it's alright."

I don't know if I mentioned but Zach is an asshole. I brush it off though. "Yeah of course that's cool, what's up?"

"You said earlier that you think your clients are sometimes guilty, why?"

"Sometimes they are just overly cocky and not worried about anything, they kind of just brush off everything like it doesn't even matter what happened."

"I know what you mean, I'm think about getting out."

"What you don't want to be a lawyer anymore?!" I'm surprised, I understand but I'm still surprised.

"You know what don't even worry about it, that's not important at the moment."

"So what else is?" 

"Well I'm enjoying my time with you even though brief and I wanted to know if you were interested in spending more time together?" The words are so blurry.

"I'm nto ti sure if I can right nei" by the time I reply the bottle is gone.

"Oh I didn't mean right now Mr. Ely I mean like dating you know lol. Just think about it because judging by that last message you must be half sleep so I'll just talk to you tomorrow at work."

At this point I don't even bother to respond and just take my last sip of whiskey and sit back. I start thinking about my college days.

If I met Viv in college, I would've hit her by now. Normally I wouldn't have invited girls to my dorm room unless they were an eight or better and she's a nine. White women back at school loved some black men too. I put my hands behind my head to focus more on this fantasy and let out a slight smile...

"Lance bring your ass to bed before I get mad." Ari yells startling me from upstairs and snapping me out of those thoughts. I stumble my way upstairs, crawl into bed and throw my arms around her. No need for my mind to wander now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment